Author Topic: KYP  (Read 183 times)

galumay

• Administrator
  • dhunga
KYP
« on: January 17, 2024, 11:18:44 AM »
* KYP.pdf (42.31 kB - downloaded 26 times.)
17/1/24

Bought a small postion in $KYP, Kinatico Ltd.

Kinatico Ltd provides pre-employment screening, verification, and workforce compliance management services in Australia and New Zealand. It offers real-time workforce compliance management via its core Software-as-a-Service RegTech solution, Cited that enables compliance monitoring spanning pre-employment to daily requirements related to geo-location, roles, and tasks applicable across a range of industries. It also provides a range of pre-employment checks via its CVCheck solution, which is delivered via its proprietary technology platform that provide breed employment screening and verification offering with a track record of customer service excellence. In addition, its Enable solution provides workforce compliance and logistics solutions, primarily to the mining sector. The company was formerly known as CV Check Ltd and changed its name to Kinatico Ltd in October 2022. The company was incorporated in 2004 and is based in Perth, Australia.

38461 shares at 12c, $4615

They released a positive update noting a strong growth in the SaaS part of the business and resultant growth in revenue and profit. Reverse engineering I think the market is pricing it with 5% growth based on last years FCF of 0.6c, the results indicated for H1 extrapolated for the full year would see at least 5% growth and much improved FCF, especially as product development costs shoud reduce going forward.

I also really liked the language in the update and previous annual report, simple language, just one mention of bullshit earnings (EBIDTA) in passing, no lengthy focus on metrics like ARR etc that SaaS businesses normally waffle on about. Only red flag was they did call the trading update a "Flash Update"!

Company has also been buying back shares, not sure that they can buy enough to make a meaningful difference and its a bit unusual for a business at this stage of its life to be engaging in buybacks.

Trading update 17/01/24

* KYP.pdf (42.31 kB - downloaded 26 times.)

« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 11:55:42 AM by galumay »

galumay

• Administrator
  • dhunga
Re: KYP
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 08:45:10 AM »
Investing is a funny business! We are constantly reminded how little we do know, and indeed can know. After all my research and analysis and taking a position yesterday, today the company announces it is issuing 15m shares for Loan Funded Shares under the Employee Incentive Option Plan. So this completely offsets the 15m shares bought back by the company, so no net benefit for shareholders from the buyback!

My initial inclination is to respond to this red flag by selling my position straight away, but the CEO is going to call me about some other questions I had so I shall wait to hear from him.

Michael Ivanchenko, CEO rang me back today, 19/1, his explanation about the benefits of the Loan Funded Shares for employees offset my concerns about it negating the effect of the buyback. The optics are a bit off given the same amount of shares bought back as can be issued in the scheme. The benefit is they dont vest for 3 years and most need to meet the KPIs including a share price of 16c. I certainly prefer this process to complicated option schemes many companies run. He also explained why the 10m from the cap raise was unspent, it was raised to finance the integration and development of an aquisition, which then cost much less than they first expected, leaving them with the cash on hand. Then it was decided to use some of that to buyback shares as algo trading had driven it down to 7-8c.

He also indicated capex thru product dev costs would drop by 25% pa over the next couple of years which should drive some healthy FCF growth if they can execute.

Here is the content of my letter,

Hi,

I have just become a shareholder in Kinatico through my SMSF, hopefully you dont mind engaging with a small, retail investor like myself.

KYP is probably an earlier stage, less mature business than I would normally invest in but after finding the business and doing my research and analysis I came to the belief that if KYP management can continue to execute as they have done in the last 2 years then it is probably significantly undervalued. I also liked the straightforward language in your updates and reports, almost no mention of bullshit earnings (EBITDA) - a pet hate of mine! Also very little of the waffle and acronym bingo usually associated with businesses claiming to be SaaS.

My only nit pick would be calling your trading updates, “Flash Updates”!

One question I have is about the share buyback, in principle I am in favour of businesses I am part owner of engaging in share buybacks when the shares are undervalued by the market. What I find a bit unusual is a business like KYP at its stage of development doing it. It seems to me in reading back through the previous reports, that there was a $10m CR in 2021 and essentially it is these funds that are financing the share buybacks. I say this as there is not really any FCF while the cost of product development is as high as it currently is.

So the first question is what was the CR earmarked for originally? (seems a little odd to raise so long ago and still have most of the cash.)

Secondly, what is the rational for using it for a share buyback rather than retaining it for future growth or other opportunities?

Third question sort of grows out of the comment about FCF & product development costs, given that OCF and product development costs are running at about the same quantum currently, and the growth in the SaaS business should see OCF grow pretty quickly, do you also expect to see a drop off in those product development costs going forward? Or is it really a recurring capex cost that will impact FCF going forward?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 02:59:28 PM by galumay »

galumay

• Administrator
  • dhunga
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 07:54:15 AM »
H1 2024 results released.

galumay

• Administrator
  • dhunga
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2024, 08:57:17 AM »
Maybe coincidence, but KYP released a trading update today and didnt call it a "flash update"! (although did refer to it as one within the update.)

Good news was the increase in SaaS revenue to 36% of sales, up from 31% for H1. Less good was very little total revenue growth on PCP, just 0.05%. Not sure how the transition to SaaS impacts revenues in the short term.

The static growth in revenue over the last 12 months is a real concern, my thesis is growth in FCF of around 5% this year, hard to see them doing that on flat revenue unless the magic is in the move to SaaS, increasing margins. Will need to watch results closely. Low conviction at this point.