see thesis in decision journal, click here to view
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 11:45:31 AM by galumay »

galumay

• Administrator
  • dhunga
Re: AFL
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 05:16:38 PM »
AFL H1 2021, a very strong half for AFL as expected,

Also announced a SPP, which I will participate in, happy to build my position.

galumay

• Administrator
  • dhunga
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 04:55:18 PM »
AFL released FY 2021 results today and the market didn't like them, a massive reversal of last half's profitability and a big loss for the full year.

I have had a bit of a chat to a couple of fellow investors and I think they are right in pointing out that while the results are worse than the company had suggested from guidance, there are some mitigating factors.

The two acquisitions in the half have impacted negatively on earnings - the costs have all flowed through but any revenue has been slow to come in, there were some staffing issues as well at the start  of H2 that didnt help with the expenses and the previous 2 quarters cash flow had been particularly strong and the cycle of working capital caught up this time and detracted from the operating cash flow.

I think the promotional management style hasn't helped, they failed to flag the likely downturn and then chose to ignore it in the AR & investor presentation, instead focussing on bullshit earnings. It probably would have been prudent to outline to shareholders why EBIT, NPAT & FCF were so negatively impacted and why in the particular circumstances they weren't necessarily a good indicator of the financial health of the business.

I was considering getting out based on the annual report, but I have decided to hang in there and see if they can deliver some earning power from the acquisitions and some organic growth to improve the financials.

galumay

• Administrator
  • dhunga
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 07:40:17 AM »
AFL have redeemed themselves slightly in my eyes with the release of their H1 2022 results. Still have concerns about IR with this mob and the bullshit earnings nonsense they fill the front of the report with. Just report the actual financials and leave the accounting gymnastics to others.

galumay

• Administrator
  • dhunga
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 07:47:12 AM »
FY2022 results for AFL show a small trend towards profitability, the accounting gymnastics continue with a ridiculous amount of waffle about their bullshit earnings. As I said last time, it would be much better if they just presented the financials without any 'adjustments' and concentrated on getting the business profitable. Anyway, I will continue to retain my small, low conviction position for now!

galumay

• Administrator
  • dhunga
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 06:35:31 PM »
My comment from twitter - Wen you are a #shitco and your losses are so big the CFO cant work out the % change from PRP. $AFL

A truly awful result, if it were not such a small position I would dump it.

Even removing the impairments they had a massive loss despite slightly increased revenue.

galumay

• Administrator
  • dhunga
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2023, 01:10:09 PM »
Annual report out for AFL today, as telegraphed a large loss due to impairments in the first half of the year. Despite the silly acquisition of Withnalls as discussed above, it seems the influence of Peter Johns on the board has helped. No mention of EBITDA!! (A pet hatred metric of mine & I know Peter dislikes it as well.)

On the positive side the business is close to FCF +'ve, so looks to be slowly heading in the right direction. Still low conviction for me, but it is a small position.